Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Foundations

Foundations are important in whatever you are doing. If you are building a skyscraper you need a good solid foundation. I think this thought process can be applied in almost every aspect of life.

As I am nearing my 4 year clean anniversary I was thinking about where I was 4 years ago, LOW!!!! I started to think about my journey to where I am now. I wouldn't be where I am at right now without the love and support of my family and friends! I have been provided a great support circle and I am eternally grateful for that. None of this would have been possible without a solid foundation when I first started this journey. I attended meetings on a regular basis and got to know as many people as I possibly could. It was important to me that I felt a part of something. I was welcomed with open arms and smiles! I continued to work on myself and grow as a person. NOW (and I put that in capitals because I wanted to get ur attention!!!) I still have a laundry list of things that I am working on and will continue to work on until I take my last breath on this planet. I am determined to make myself better each and everyday. Be better than you were yesterday is what I tell my track kiddos. Work harder than you did yesterday. Sometimes it is difficult to do, some days I wanna sit on my ass and watch TV. (Truth) Then I start to think what this is doing for me.....other than catching up on some sweet shows, nothing. One of the reasons I started this blog was to share my journey with the world, how much of the world is actually reading or getting something from this is still unknown to me. Like my service work I do for NA though, if I can reach or help one person with this post.....then my job is done. If not that is fine too, I am doing this because I love to write and it helps me process some of the craziness in my melon.

As in everything success breeds success, but success isn't possible without establishing a foundation first. Unless you are very lucky, if that is the case I want the winning lottery numbers please! Repetition and process are key to building a foundation. Not placing expectations on anyone else is another key ingredient, I have done this far too much and am mos def working on it. When you put expectations on other people big or small, you are setting yourself up for disappointment or a resentment. Not a healthy way to live, trust that!!!! Place an expectation on yourself to work your ass off to achieve whatever it is you want in life. That is a realistic expectation, use that as motivation to work work work! If I would have made a list of my expectations when I first got clean, I would have grossly underestimated myself and where I was going to be in 4 years. Again please understand I am not bragging by any stretch, I have achieved what I have because of a loving Higher Power that keeps me living in his will, not mine and a very loving support group. I could not be here today writing this blog without their help. I am thankful and grateful for all the gifts and joys I have been given in this new life. I am also thankful for the heartaches and pain I have experienced too, I have learned a great deal about myself and how my brain, my will, and worst case scenario thinking tend to screw things up regularly. I am working on myself once again and with each breath I take I am getting a clearer perspective on my situation and what I want for my next step in life. Sometimes when things are getting askew in life it is important to take a break and regroup, refocus, and recommit yourself to what it was that was difficult for you. Do not give up before the miracle happens....... Things can change if you look at things in a different light and sometimes we must experience pain and anguish to achieve this clarity I speak of. I have only recently achieved this and it has been a battle with my head and me trying to run my own show, my will isn't the way to go. I have to trust the man up stairs and LET GO!!! As always peace and blessings to all, thank you for your continued support.

3 comments:

  1. great post Zach! You have come a long way! I completely agree, even tough times are those to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u sis!! I am really glad u r reading it. Want to get my blog out there but unsure how

      Delete
    2. read and comment on other blogs that are similar to yours! You'll have lots of blogging buddies in no time! Twitter too...

      Delete