Sunday, April 26, 2015

Happy times!

Well it has been awhile since my last post, with good reason.... I have been busy. I find myself smack dab in the middle of the busiest time of the year for me, Track season! Recently I have had a few things happened to me that have really reassured me that I am on the right track.

Every year about this time, my brother and I are in a mad scramble to figure out what we are going to get our dad for his birthday. He never asks for anything and has all he wants/needs. He used to ask for good children, but we all know that wasn't going to happen ;). This year he decided to tell us what he wanted; he asked that we take $100 of his money and do something for someone else with it. This was an easy task for me to think of but not so easy for me to accomplish. I decided to buy a ton of clothing and donate it to the school I work at. There are students there that don't have a lot of resources and opportunities. It was a no brainier that some basic clothing, sweats, shirts, shorts, and pants could help them out. There is a basic need for some of the students that need these things, so I decided that would be where the money was spent. I went to K-mart because I knew that is where the money would go the furthest. Finding some of the winter clearance racks with shirts and sweat pants went well. I realized about 45 minutes into the excursion, that I had no girl items. Well, guys clothing I am a master of, girls on the other hand...... It was like I was learning French, CLUELESS. I asked a mom who had a daughter with her a few questions (creeped them out in the process) but got the information I needed, then found appropriate wears for the girls at the school too. This was an opportunity to give back to people that don't have it all, it felt great to do this. I think we take for granted all we have and all we think we are owed.

Next I recently completed my 12th step. It has been a journey I have been working on for almost 3 years. Being clean for over 5 1/2, I wanted to actually work the steps and incorporate them into my life. I have seen a lot of growth in myself and my outlook since working these steps. It is one thing to write down answers to questions in hopes to appease your sponsor. It is another thing to actually work them and put them in play in your daily life. Now I am by no means the person I want to be, but because of working these steps and continuing to live clean and trying to do the next best thing, I think I am getting closer each day. Feels good to work a program and see results. If anyone that is reading this knew me before I got clean or in the early stages of my recovery, I think you will agree, if not....that is ok too.

Finally, it is that time of the year that my life is completely over run with happiness, stress, love, and fun (for the most part). TRACK SEASON. This year I am not sure what has happened but everything seems to be coming together. I have a GREAT coaching staff I work with, some of the best in the business that I am humbled to be around, a great program, and some AMAZING kids. I have had this goal of getting a girl over 5' and a boy over 6' since I started. Been close on the boys side a few times, but never achieved it. Well yesterday, that all changed. My boy cleared 6' and two of my girls have cleared 5' so far. Blows my mind to think of where they were when I first got them. I want to take all the credit, but truth be told, they are amazing young athletes that like to compete and hungry for more. Could not be happier with my flyers this year. Here are 2 of my kiddos jumping, making me one of the luckiest coaches/people in the world!



Thanks again for the support, love and peace to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment